June 9, 1999 - NATO and Yugoslav military authorities signed the Military Technical Agreement, mainly dealing with the withdrawal of Yugoslav troops and security forces from Kosovo.
June 10, 1999 - NATO suspended its air strikes. The North Atlantic Council authorized the Activation Order of the deployment of KFOR forces in Kosovo, under the overall SHAPE plan for Operation JOINT GUARDIAN. The United Nations Security Council approved Resolution 1244.
June 12, 1999 - The first KFOR troops entered Kosovo.
June 14, 1999 - KFOR formally established tactical command in Pristina, after troops established presence in assigned sectors.
June 20, 1999 - KFOR announced that all FRY military and police units departed Kosovo in compliance with the Military Technical Agreement. NATO formally terminated its air campaign against the FRY.
The mission of the NATO-led Kosovo Force is:
- Ensure compliance with the Military Technical Agreement as signed on June 9, 1999 between NATO and the Former Yugoslav Republic.
- Ensure full compliance with UN Security Council Resolution 1244.
- Establish a secure environment in which refugees and displaced persons can return home safely.
- Establish secure environment in which the international civil presence can operate.
- Establish secure environment in which a transitional administration can be established.
Authority for the implementation of Operation Joint Guardian has been delegated to the Commander in Chief of Allied Forces Southern Europe (CINCSOUTH). The Commander the NATO-led Kosovo Force (KFOR) is in charge of the implementation of the MTA and controls all the forces deployed into his area of operation.
The Joint Force Air Component Commander is the Commander Allied Air Forces Southern Europe (COMAIRSOUTH), who is responsible for all air activities within the theater of operations.
The Commander Naval Forces Southern Europe (COMNAVSOUTH) is responsible for maritime activities in support of the operations.
Other subordinate commanders include the Commander Strinking and Support Forces Southern Europe (COMSTRIKFORSOUTH) who is responsible for maritime power projection forces, and the Commande Albania Force (COMAFOR) who is in control of all NATO forces in Albania as part of Operation Allied Harbor.